Mental Golf Evaluation
The profile was developed by Bobby Foster, a management consultant headquartered in Columbia, SC. Bobby is a former teaching professional and golf coach at the University of South Carolina where he coached several All-Americans including four players who played on The PGA Tour. He is a Certified Behavioral Analyst specializing in the DISC Behavioral Style Model. He explains the purpose behind the development of the mental golf profile -
"Our company has had great success using DISC profiles in work language to help people improve performance in all types of working environments. Over the years, I've often thought about how much better I would have been as a player, instructor and coach if I'd known about the DISC System during that stage of my life. We built this profile in golf language so that players, instructors and coaches could enjoy the same benefits I've seen countless experience with DISC profiles in the workplace.
Following is the outline of the Mental Golf Workshop™ profile process -
- Spend about ten minutes answering the multiple-choice questionnaire.
- Your answers go through our proprietary scoring system to produce a 20 plus page report.
- Review the detailed descriptions of your mental golf tendencies and customized strategies for these areas of your game -
- Golf Temperament
- Pre-Round Preparation
- Mental Tendencies When Playing Shots
- Course Management
- Working With Your Instructors
- Mental Tendencies Toward Golf Fitness
Your report is produced in a "workshop" format, with space provided to make notes as you work through your report. This format makes it easy to self-coach yourself or to review with your instructor or coach.
We suggest reviewing all of the information and then selecting the key items that will most impact your performance. Perhaps the most effective method for reinforcing these key points is to write them on index cards and put them into a plastic bag you keep in your golf bag. Review these index cards before your practice sessions and rounds and you’ll be delighted with the positive impact this awareness and repetition will have on your performance.
We’re grateful to several prominent people in the game for their assistance in developing the profile.
- Dr. Greg Rose and Dave Phillips, Co-Founders of The Titleist Performance Institute, tested the profile extensively with players of all levels before including it in “The Titleist Experience” program. Their feedback and advice has been invaluable.
- Pia Nilsson and Lynn Marriott of Vision 54 Golf Schools are both Golf Digest Top 50 Instructors and have extensive knowledge of the DISC profile system. Pia and Lynn provided valuable guidance and included a section on our profile in their best-selling book, Every Shot Must Have A Purpose.
- Two friends from The PGA Tour, Brad Faxon and Jonathan Byrd, tested the profile and gave advice from a tour player’s perspective. The profile is designed for players of all levels, and Brad’s and Jonathan’s input was quite helpful in making sure the reports would be relevant for players at the highest level.
- Two of the top mental coaches in the game, Dr. Morris Pickens, of The Sea Island Learning Center and Chris Passarella, of The IMG David Leadbetter Academy, provided invaluable advice on structuring the profile so that it is suitable for both self-coaching and for collaborating between player and coaches. Dr. Pickens also contributed the section on “Developing Great Practice Habits,” in the profile.
- Dr. Bob Rotella and Tom Kite shared valuable information about what "really" works in the mental game in lengthy Q&A sessions and encouraged us to use this information in the profile